Monday, September 24, 2007

The purple-ish cardigan

I honestly have no idea what color my cardigan is. If you look at it in direct light, it's purple. Other times it looks maroon. Whatever, I'm just glad it's finished and that it's wearable.
The whole time I was knitting it, the weather has been horrible. Cold and rainy. Of course, now that it's done, the temperature has gone up and it's sunny and way too warm for my worsted weight creation. Figures.
The cardigan was knitted as a top down raglan. I didn't use a pattern, I sort of improvised, especially around the waist decreases. But I find that it's extremely hard to mess up a top down anything. The collar could have been a little higher, but I guess I'll survive with the way it is. The collar, cuffs and all the borders are done in twisted k1p1 rib. I picked up stitches for the button band. And there the problems began. I frogged the damn band two times on each side, trying to figure out just how many stitches I need to pick up. I still have no idea.
So the side with the buttons has more stitches than the one with the holes. I'm so not fixing it again. It's not like anyone will notice, none of my friends knit. But next time I'm going to knit the sucker separately and sew it on.
Anyhow, here is the short version:

Pattern: Your basic top down raglan cardi
Yarn: Adamo & Eva (Ispe), 60% merino, 20% acryl
Needles: 6 mm
Time it took: 10 days

Some weird pose action shots:

Saturday, September 15, 2007

Things from felt

I've been busy crafting with felt. Actually, trying to get rid of some of the felt sheets I bought ages ago. I only had three colors, yellow, blue and green, so I tried to combine them the best I could.
I don't know why, but when I think of felt I always imagine something cute and small. That's why all the stuff I made is tiny. This didn't help with my "get rid of felt" mission. I still have plenty of it left, and no idea what to do with it.

Anyways, onto the felt stuff:
Some random circles that could be used on hair clips or possibly other projects.
A book for my sewing needles - about 7 cm tall.

A notepad made form scratch. I used an old cereal box for the notepad covers and some printer paper that was only printed on one side for the...erm, paper. I cut it all up to match the size of my felt dino cover and assembled it together. I used white glue to hold the paper together. So far so good.

Kanzashi flower. It's not felt, but it's cute and small. I still need to add a button to cover up the messy center. I have my mind set on yellow. Sadly, there are absolutely no yellow buttons in my collection. I'll have to go out and buy some.

As for knitting news: My purple-maroonish cardigan is finished, blocked and waiting for me to take some pictures of it.

Friday, September 7, 2007

Needs a sleeve

I started this cardigan last Friday. This is my progress so far.
I'm using 6 mm needles and heavy worsted yarn. Or maybe it's chunky, I never know the weight. It's either going to be super warm or super uncomfortable to wear. But it's my first time knitting anything that has long sleeves and I'm just proud that I managed to produce a whole sleeve on DPNs without any ladders.
The cardigan is knit top down with raglan increases for the sleeves. I still need to knit the other sleeve and add a button band.